The purpose of this program is to support veterans, service members, and their families in the transition to successful new lives and careers after leaving the military. Support is intended for personnel from the active and reserve military (who have served or are currently serving) and their families, regardless of discharge status and length of service, with a particular focus on individuals affected by the engagements since September 11, 2001. In addition, funds will support organizations with demonstrated competency serving veterans in one or more of the following subpopulations:
- Individuals with traumatic brain injury, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), or major depression
- Black, Latino/a, Native American, Asian, and mixed-race individuals
- LGBT individuals
- Survivors of military sexual trauma (MST)
- Individuals facing homelessness or housing vulnerability
- Veterans with general or other-than-honorable discharges
Eligibility is limited to applicants serving the residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming.