JVA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
We believe in the inherent value of all people and the unique and important contribution of each person to the greater whole.
For this reason, in its policies, its day-to-day actions and its culture, JVA promotes fairness, equity and inclusion in relation to, and across, intersections including but not limited to race, gender, ethnicity, age, ability, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, political affiliation, education, language and gender identity. JVA takes these steps both because we believe this to be the only ethical course of action and in recognition of the fact that including, welcoming, respecting and empowering diverse voices broadens our skill set, increases our levels of innovation and creativity, improves our relationships with clients and ultimately strengthens our ability to effect positive change and empower those in the communities we work with.
- Acknowledges and embraces diversity by being mindful and appreciative of differences.
- Actively works to engage a diverse range of clients that serve a diverse range of populations, seeking in particular to support populations that have faced or now face challenges to equity and inclusion in mainstream society.
- Continually educates its staff about differing cultural norms and employs culturally responsive approaches in all our interactions and communications, including but not limited to trainings, meetings, marketing projects, focus groups, interviews and surveys.
- Stays current on the latest dialogues about appropriate terminology related to groups that are marginalized.
- Actively recruits staff, consultants and partners that reflect the diversity of the clients and communities we serve, and actively works to ensure the equitable inclusion of their voices in establishing JVA policy and executing its practices.
- Uses appropriate language when describing groups that are marginalized and their members in both written and spoken contexts, deferring to the individuals in question in cases of uncertainty.
- Supports clients’ efforts to recruit leadership that reflects their communities.
- Infuses its work with principles that aim to advance equity.